Thursday, October 11, 2012

Roasted Pumpkin Soup

When I can't make something taste right I improvise and make it spicy.  That's what happened with this soup. I finally got it to the right consistency and then I added too much syrup.  Naturally, my next step was to continue adding cayenne pepper...good for digestion. Ultimately, I think I finally got the composition right and than added a ton of pancetta for good measure.


Ingredients:
1 small onion
1 pie pumpkin
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup pancetta
1 Tbsp cayenne
salt & pepper
croutons (store bought or homemade)

Recipe:
~Roast pumpkin 350 ~ Peel, cut, drizzle with olive oil, roast for about an hour
~Cook pancetta in large soup pan, set aside
~Saute onions in pancetta drippings (sounds gross but is really delicous) until tender
~Add roasted pumpkin, maple syrup, and seasonings to sauteed onions ~ cook for about 2 minutes
~Add chicken broth ~ cook for 5 minutes and re-season if necessary
~Add heavy cream ~ cook until warm - don't boil!
~Blend soup in food processor or blender
~Serve with pancetta and croutons
SIDE NOTE ~ make your own croutons, they're so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment