Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkin Pizza

That's right, you read it right, pumpkin pizza.  This was my final attempt at making a savory pumpkin dish. It was a long road through Pumpkin Mac & CheesePumpkin SoupPumpkin Risotto, and Pumpkin Enchiladas but I have finally found something I would eat again.  I could have seen this coming.  Pizza, duh?! Who doesn't love pizza?  It has carbs and cheese anything added is just a bonus.  I followed the recipe at Once A Month Mom and made a mini pizza (I wasn't willing to waste more ingredients on something that I was just going to have to purge later) and wouldn't you know it we could have eaten more! The husband still isn't sold on savory pumpkin and believes pumpkin belongs with sugar or cream cheese...only.  Give it a try and see what you think!
Once A Month Mom has a better picture

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small pre-made pizza crust
1/8 cup chopped shallots (I didn't measure...this is a guess)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
dash of paprika
dash of salt
1/2 cup grated fontina cheese
sliced Spanish (not Mexican!) chorizo (I went to the wrong store and couldn't find this so I used pepperoni)
dash of sage~or use 1 tsp fresh sage

Recipe:
~Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil and cook shallots and garlic until tender.  Add pumpkin, paprika, sage and salt.  Cook together for a few minutes.

~Brush pizza crust with the rest of the olive oil and then spread pumpkin sauce onto crust. Add cheese and chorizo and sprinkle with fresh sage if using.

~Bake at 425 for up to 12 minutes depending on desired crust texture.

~Slice and finally enjoy a savory pumpkin dish worth savoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment