Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Mac & Cheese

The pumpkin mac & cheese can officially be added to the list of cool side dishes I'll make once a year. It was super creamy and I really liked the topping.  I got this recipe from the source, Better Homes & Gardens. Next thing I know I'll be paling around with Martha. Yeah right, she has WAY too many steps in her cooking. Of course, Mr. F loved it but the husband again only tolerated it.  I'm still of the mind that pumpkin belongs in sweet dishes rather than savory ones but like I said, I'll try this again next October.  Have you found any savory pumpkin dishes you love?

Ingredients:
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
2 cups milk (the fatter the better)
6 oz grated fontina cheese
2 1/2 cups macaroni (any kind you want)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 can pumpkin puree
1/4 cup pecans
1 tbsp olive oil
salt, pepper, & sage

Recipe:
~Boil water and cook macaroni while preparing the pumpkin cheese sauce

~In a medium sauce pan melt butter.  When butter is melted and bubbling add the flour and stir constantly for about 1 minute.  Add milk and bring almost to a boil, stirring regularly until the sauce thickens.

~Take white sauce off the heat and add fontina and 1/4 cup parmesan. Stir until melted and then add pumpkin, salt, pepper, and sage to taste.

~Add pumpkin cheese sauce to cooked pasta and pour into 9x13 baking dish.

~Sprinkle bread crumbs, remaining parmesan, olive oil, and pecans over the top.

~Bake uncovered at 350 for about 35 minutes.  Allow about 10 minutes to cool off or risk not being about to taste anything else for the next two days.

1 comment:

  1. ...not my favorite...cheese was grainy but when the nephew added a pound of salt it was actually pretty good!

    ReplyDelete