Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Chicken Enchiladas

I made my first savory pumpkin dish and it was yummy!  I would never have put pumpkin and enchiladas together but the amazing women at Once A Month Mom did and again...yum.  I altered their recipe just a bit to ensure it's unhealthiness but my picture looks enough like theirs to make me think I actually did it right. Mr. F loved them and the husband put in a hard work out so he was willing to eat anything ;)

Ingredients:
1 large onion
3 Tbsp of butter
2 cups cooked chicken (I like mine shredded)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup chicken broth
1 can of black beans
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
16 corn tortillas
1 round block of shredded Queso Fresco (Yep, I used it all)

Recipe:
-Melt butter in frying pan and add diced onions.  Saute onions until tender
-Combine the chicken and black beans with the onions and put aside
-In a medium bowl mix pumpkin, whipping cream, chicken broth, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, salt, and pepper
-Put a small amount of the pumpkin cream sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan
Side Note ~ you can fill the tortillas now but they will probably crack and split. For most people this isn't a problem.  For crazy people with a slight tendency towards OCD, you can fry the corn tortillas for about 10 seconds each side in veggie oil and they are pliable (and let's be honest better) and much easier to work with
-Whatever your method - fill tortillas with chicken/bean mixture and a little queso fresco, roll up and place in pan with seam side down
-Pour the rest of the pumpkin cream sauce on top of tortillas and top with the rest of the queso fresco
-Bake at 425 for 25 minutes and get ready for some cheesy pumpkiny goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment